Home Ceremonies Testimonials About Melinda Your Wedding
About Melinda
Your Wedding
Great Locations & Venues
Links to Great Resources
Marrying in Australia
Photo Gallery
My Contact Details





Sydney Marriage Celebrant
Melinda Dunn CMC
M: 0412 066 836
E:  rm.dunn@optusnet.com.au

Facebook: Melinda Dunn, Sydney Marriage Celebrant

Under the Marriage Act 1961 there are certain obligations that must be met prior to a marriage ceremony being solemnised.

If you need more information click on Your Wedding Day Details or email me at rm.dunn@optusnet.com.au with more questions, and I will get back to you as soon as possible


You must lodge a Notice of Intended Marriage (NIM) Notice of Intended Marriage with your Civil Marriage Celebrant no less than one month (and no more than 18 months) prior to the marriage being solemnised. 

This Notice would be completed at your first meeting with your Marriage Celebrant and the required documents must be produced at that time. If not available, they must be sighted by the Celebrant before the marriage can take place. Both parties are required to give the minimum one month and one day notice by signing and having the NIM witnessed by the Marriage Celebrant.

Before your marriage you are required to produce the following:

Original Birth Certificates (or authorised extract of such Certificate). You can obtain these from the Registrar of BDM Births Deaths and Marriages Registry or your Marriage Celebrant can provide an application form to obtain one should you not have it.  Photocopies are not permitted.

Persons born outside of Australia  Although birth certificates are preferred, a Marriage Celebrant can accept an overseas passport (from the country of birth) in lieu of the birth certificate.  If that person cannot produce their birth certificate or overseas passport, the Celebrant will take a Statutory Declaration with details of birth date, place and parentsí names together with an explanation as to why the birth certificate is not available.  IMPORTANT: An Australian passport cannot be accepted under any circumstances and statutory declarations only apply to persons born overseas.

Persons previously married  An original copy of the Decree Absolute or Divorce Certificate must be produced.  The date on the Decree Absolute must be a minimum one month and one day prior to the date of marriage.  When a previous marriage has been annulled, documented evidence must be produced.

Widowhood  An original copy of the Death Certificate of the previous spouse must be produced.

NB. These documents MUST be produced before the marriage can take place.  It is essential that you give yourself adequate time to acquire them prior to marriage.

No Legal Impediment  Both parties will be required to sign a declaration under the Marriage Act 1961, stating that you believe there is no legal impediment to the marriage between yourself and your partner. 

There must be 2 witnesses at your marriage ceremony, both over the age of 18 years. 

Sydney Marriage Celebrant, Sydney Celebrant, Civil Marriage Celebrant Sydney, Wedding Celebrant Sydney, Celebrant Sydney, 
Wedding Ceremony Sydney, Wedding Celebrations Australia

Home | Ceremonies | Testimonials | About Melinda | Your Wedding
Site Map